Course Summary Sheet
This is a summary of the course.
Intro VideoWelcome to the Course
- Nervous about learning new things and technology moving fast?
- Want to learn faster, applying knowledge across multiple subjects?
- Approach courses with a life-changing perspective
- People reported being more comfortable learning and being in new environments with increased speed
- The completion rate of Nanodegrees is at best 34% () with private undergrad colleges at 64% 
- Traditional education is based on an industrial-age model. (See Sir Ken Robinson's TED Talk )
- In the Information Age, we need a learning paradigm shift.
- Traditional Learning Structure:
- Structured learning times (classes)
- Imposed deadlines (quarter, semester)
- Guidance on what to learn (teachers)
- Self-Directed Learning Structure"
- Loose learning times (online classes a 24/7 access)
- Loose deadlines (complete this by next week or at your own paces)
- Guidance is shared between you and the structure of the online class
- Time for a change
- Advanced Degrees From MIT and CMU
- Data Scientist and Former Director at Stanley Black & Decker
- University Professor for over 15 Years, 10 of them fulltime teaching adult learners
- State of the art development for over 20 years
- Patent for Internet DJ
- Father of 2 Awesome Teenage Boys
- You are ultimately responsible for your learning.
- No course will give you everything you need because everyone needs something different.
- Use supplemental sources; some listed on the Resources page.
- Map out your own learning path based on your and as you learn more continue to update your needs based on new information.
- Use this and all courses as a guide and the entire knowledge source.
 https://urltms.com/mooc-completion - Completion in MOOCs: 5-15%
 https://urltms.com/college-completion - "Federal Government Publishes More Complete Graduation Rate Data"
 https://urltms.com/sir-ken - Sir Ken Robinson TED Talk, "Changing education paradigms"
Developing Your WhysDefining Your Why
- Defining your why gives you more direction.
- Once you have your first why go a level deeper and ask yourself, why is that your why and come up with a second why.
Emotion – Will Smith Quote
Fear is not real. The only place that fear can exist is in our thoughts of the future. It is a product of our imagination, causing us to fear things that do not at present and may not ever exist. That is near insanity. Do not misunderstand me, danger is very real but fear is a choice. We are all telling ourselves a story.Emotion – Video Summary
- Emotions are the biggest barrier to learning and are all about the choices that we make.
- Fear, Frustration, and Self-doubt are all choices
- Developing that ability to choose is a like muscle, you can strengthen with practice.
Self-TalkDr. Crum TEDx Talk - Change Your Mindset, Change the Game
- Our Mindsets Matter
- Dr. Crum is a professor, psychologist, and researcher investigating how mindsets affect health and behavior.
- Changing what you tell yourself changes not only how you view things but also the actions that you take.
- Stories can be very powerful so create stories that will help you reach your goals.
Learning to Learn How to LearnLearning to Learn How to Learn is a perspective that helps you
- Direct your learning
- Pull knowledge in from different subject area
- Provide a repeatable method for problem-solving
Give someone a fish and They eat for a day Teach someone to fish and They eat for a lifetime Teach someone to Learn “how to learn to fish” and Everything is possible! -- modified by Robert
- Figure out what you are trying to learn and why
- As you are learning, filter the information into its simplest context.
- Act quickly in doing something fun and relevant to the information you’ve learned.
- Figure out a process on how to get yourself out of learning gaps by the following:
- Identify what you know
- Identify what you don’t know
- Break operations down into smaller steps and test assumptions.
- As you verify your assumptions, refine your thinking.
- Develop a plan on how to learn what you don’t know.
- This may require that you repeat the above steps several times as you continue to learn and grow. You don’t always solve the problem in one step but sometimes small steps towards the goal continue to get you there until you have that eureka moment and it all falls into place.
- Become a continuous universal learner
Class Video SummaryWhat is Transfer Learning and How Does it Help Process for transferring knowledge from one thing to another. There are two types:
- Near - apply skills in one area to a similar area
- Far - apply what you learn to a different context
- explicit teaching
- group learning
- analogies and metaphors
- try generalizing
- Thought about and used my skills in one area to apply them to a new area
- I worked to gain an understanding of the important components of comedy and how they fit together.
- Organizing principles in a way that made sense to me.
- I used additional sources to build on my knowledge
- I did not let negative talk creep into my learning
- I found an ally with a common goal
- All this allowed me to co-create something that I had never done before.
3. MENTAL MODELSMental Model - a tool used by a person to understand real-world objects, concepts, systems, and other things. Concepts about mental models are:
- Everyone creates mental models to represent the world around them.
- Mental models can be extended in many ways and here are two that I want to talk about:
- Decomposing concepts -- this is used to identify building blocks
- Abstracting concepts -- moving from specific to general
- Mental models are representations based on a perspective and usage that highlight aspects of real-world concepts.
- Mental models often have multiple layers to them.
- Mental models allow you to reason and draw conclusions in one domain and make similar solutions in totally different domains.
4. SETTING UP TO WIN
Setting You up To WinSome points of note:
- Set a goal and make a plan. You can always change it but setting a goal and making a plan brings it to life. It gets you underway.
- Goals and plans can be changed as you get more information.
- Learning is a continuous process that begins when you first conceive of an idea.
Getting Internal SupportThings to consider as you start your journey:
- Take care of yourself
- Think about your internal needs before you start and come up with a plan on how to have them met.
- It is OK to change your plans and your thoughts but starting is key
Getting External SupportThinking about what you may need helps prepare you for your journey.
- Define what you think your needs are.
- Ask others for help.
- It is OK not to have everything all worked out. Starting is the first step.
5. SUMMARYThank you for your time and for allowing me to do what I love. HAVE FUN AND CHOOSE POWERFULLY! Have Fun and Choose Powerfully
(c) 2020 Team MindShift, All Right Reserved [https://TeamMindShift.com]