Best Practices in Teaching a Virtual Class (Certification)
- Effectively use virtual technology
- Hone equitable teaching practices for all, including specialized populations
- Increase confidence in remote teaching
- Engage students in remote learning
Team MindShift Certified
The current COVID-19 Pandemic has exacerbated the need for teachers to quickly develop high-quality practices in virtual Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessments. There has never been a time in the history of education where technology, mental health, and education can come together in more innovative ways. Teacher training programs never addressed the skills needed for teaching in a pandemic. This introductory course in Virtual Learning will provide teachers with the tools and understanding needed to effectively teach in a remote-learning environment.
This 20-hour Blended course: Instructor Lead and Self-Paced
Course Starts Feb, Mar, and Apr
In a Virtual, Remote, and Blended environment, Teachers will:
- Understand the differences between these learning environments;
- Understand how and when to leverage these environments and establish confidence in their use;
- Develop equitable remote teaching practices which includes specialized populations;
- Effectively be able to deliver high-quality standards-based instruction;
- Gain formal training in Best Practices;
- Understand how to modify existing lessons to be effective;
- Effectively maintain engagement of students;
- Create student ownership of learning;
- Develop enhanced facilitation skills;
- Develop active listening skills in their students;
- Develop their students’ ability to identify their own knowledge gaps;
- Develop the ability to artfully manage your classroom;
- Take the practices and activities that work in the in-person classroom and map them into these environments;
- Have exposure to more tools that teachers can use in an online setting.
- Have a clear example of effective Remote Teaching
Richard Charles Sr., Ph.D.
Dr. Charles has over 20 years in K-12 public education, including 15 years of K-12 Administrative experience developing district STEM Programming. His experiences also include work as an Adjunct Professor at both the University of Colorado’s and the University of Denver’s Colleges of Education and Engineering and Sciences programs. Dr. Charles serves as a Reviewer and Researcher in Mathematics and STEM Education for National research publications. He has successfully led teams of students and teachers in designing research experiments and solutions for NASA astronauts on the International Space Station (ISS). Dr. Charles is a product of the NYC Public School system and received his Bachelor degree in Pure Mathematics from the City University of New York, and his Master’s and Ph.D. in Applied Mathematics from the University of Colorado at Boulder. He is a licensed teacher and administrator in the state of Colorado and has served as a research scientist in the telecommunications and defense industries. Dr. Charles currently serves as the Principal Data Scientist at Charles Analytics, LLC.
Robert Joseph, Ph.D.
Dr. Joseph is an Expert at taking the complex and making it simple. He has a passion for giving people the tools they need to learn while increasing their abilities to push further into the learning. As a graduate of MIT and Carnegie Mellon, I have over 15 years of experience as a university professor teaching adult learners, ten of which were full time teaching of Undergraduate and Graduate Computer Science and Math students both in classroom and online. Dr. Joseph has developed Learning Management Systems for Martial Arts training, Leadership, Waste Disposal, Programming, Yoga, and Databases. He holds a patent on a Virtual DJ system and is a developer of a student management system for the Bering Strait School district. He has created an online course in Data Science for students 6 – 12 and corporate reskilling for a career transition. He serves on the advisory board for the Georgia Department of Education in the area of Computer Science and is a volunteer speaker for high school students interested in STEM. His proudest accomplishment is being a father of two teenage boys.
Team MindShift Certified